Job Title: Pit Shifter
Location: Tumbler Ridge, BC (Wolverine Mine)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off)
The Pit Shifter’s primary purpose is to supervise, coordinate and schedule the activities of all mine operations personnel and equipment to optimize utilization of resources and achieve overall mine operations production objectives.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure adherence to Conuma's workplace policies and standard work procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control.
- Maintain a high level of Health and Safety performance through effective communication, monitoring and revision of standard operating procedures.
- Investigate accidents and near misses with a view toward positive action, through training, equipment set-up or equipment repair and report on findings and conclusions.
- Work with and assist the mine site Trainers and Efficiency Engineers to achieve targeted objectives.
- Continuously work to expand the cross-training of operators.
- Identify and communicate operator deficiencies to the Mine General Foreman with the goal to improve their role and effectiveness to meet the Company’s goals and objectives.
- Provide leadership to all load, haul and drilling activities, ensuring work is being completed in a safe, efficient and timely manner.
- Continuously monitor throughout shift operations and make adjustments as conditions change.
- Implement daily, weekly and monthly operational plans and objectives, in accordance with production plan requirements.
- Daily monitor coal quality pit practices to ensure they adhere to company policy as outlined in the Company’s coal quality program.
- Manage daily coal production to maximize “in-pit” recoveries.
- Participate actively with the technical services group to support the development of optimum mining short term plans.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Valid BC Shift Boss Certificate.
- A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience in an open pit mining environment would be an asset.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license with clean abstract.
Skills and Abilities
- Technical competency in mine operations standards, policies, procedures and processes.
- Ability to take full responsibility with minimum supervision for safety, production and quality of mine operations.
- Ability to interpret drill plans and effectively communicate to drill and blast work group.
- Detailed knowledge of mine equipment safety standards.
- Understanding of short and long-term planning objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including ability to effectively communicate and interact with all individuals with integrity, empathy and sincerity.
- Possess strong problem-solving ability.
- Complete work in a timely manner with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a calm focus during hectic periods.
- A positive attitude and customer focused approach.
- Able to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Be an excellent team player with ability to act with good judgment, diplomacy, tact, and discretion.
- Mediation/dispute resolution skills are an asset.
- Proven ability to build and sustain strong working relationships, internally and externally.
- Be an excellent ambassador for the company and set a great example for other employees.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee transportation is provided.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.