Job Title: Driller
Location: Tumbler Ridge, BC (Wolverine Mine)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off)
Safely and efficiently drive and operate rotary or top hammer drilling equipment to bore large blast holes to specified depths and positions in an open-pit mine.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive and operate rotary or top hammer drilling equipment to bore large blast holes to specified locations and depths.
- Read instructions or diagrams, lay out drill pattern and determine depth and diameter of blast holes.
- General drill maintenance checks, involving climbing on and walking around the equipment.
- Change steel when it breaks.
- Assist blasters where necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong experience operating blast hole drill rigs: SANDVIK D75-KS, ATLAS COPCO PIT VIPER 271, DRILTECH D90KS.
- Minimum of 2 years' open pit mining experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Mechanically inclined
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather and inside heavy equipment
- Safety focused
- Positive attitude
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge, BC.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.