Job Title: Senior Mine Engineer
Location: Tumbler Ridge - North East British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule/ Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Please be aware no camp facilities are available.
Reporting to the Manager Engineering or Chief Engineer, the Senior Mining Engineer is responsible for providing life of mine (LOM) and strategic long-range mine planning (SLMP), pit optimization and design feasibility studies, equipment selection and budget preparation. This covers full lifecycle planning of existing and new sites, along with providing capital and operating cost estimates for study documents and regulatory applications. As well as providing technical input into the mining operation, this role will also require training of more junior engineers, clear focus on best HSE practices and cross functional teamwork with internal and external groups
Conuma Resources is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three times winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma Resources continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma Resources Resources is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma Resources and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma Resources employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Resources Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide mine plans and direction to the Operations and implementing engineering, mine planning and production planning strategies for existing and developing mine.
- Work on technical issues and optimum mining methods to maximize production, reduce cost and increase return on investment.
- Work on long range mine planning activities.
- Plan and prepare life of mine plans, pit and dump designs, and appropriate ground control measures.
- Work with mining software (MineSight) in mine planning and developing mine design, including evaluating alternative methods and design concepts and select most appropriate for further development.
- Conduct mine planning and scheduling for mine optimization using current (MineSight) planning software.
- Plan phase development sequences, road access, mining schedules, waste dump design and scheduling, water management design, equipment selection, and project cost estimation.
- In collaboration with the Senior Geologist calculate mining reserves and provide recommendations and direction for existing and new mine sites.
- Develop plans to convert existing geological resource to mine reserves, in conjunction with the Geology team.
- Actively provide training and know-how to more junior, less experienced mining engineers.
- Develop and maintain respectful and professional relationship with external consultants.
Qualifications and Experience
- B.Sc. Mining Engineering or Equivalent.
- Eligible to Register as an EIT or Professional Engineer in BC (EGBC)
- Minimum of 2-4 Years Previous Experience in Hard Rock Drill and Blast in Open Pit Mining
- Demonstrated Knowledge of Mine Planning Processes.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including ability to effectively communicate and interact with all individuals with integrity, empathy, and sincerity.
- Having strong motivation.
- Visible team player at workplace.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to prioritize.
- Be respectful;Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Demonstrate a dedication to the position and the organization.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Conflict management skills.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee transportation for work purposes is available.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. Conuma Resources believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Resources provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.