Job Title: Janitor
Location: Willow Creek Mine (Chetwynd - North East British Columbia)
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off)
Please be aware that no camp facilities are available
The Janitor is responsible for performing custodial duties, minor maintenance, ensure that buildings and facilities are maintained in a healthy, safe and sanitary manner, and other miscellaneous duties.
Conuma Resources is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma Resources continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma Resources is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma Resources and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma Resources employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Resources Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Clean offices, meeting rooms and common areas.
- Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, or vacuuming them.
- Gather and empty trash.
- Service, clean, and supply restrooms.
- Clean mirrors, furniture and fixtures.
- Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees.
- Dust furniture, walls, machines, and equipment.
- Steam-clean or shampoo carpets.
- Strip, seal, finish, and polish floors.
- Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment, in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures.
- Lock doors after operating hours as required.
- Secure storage areas.
- Ensure cleaning materials and supplies are stored in a safe and orderly manner.
- Maintain an adequate supply of cleaning materials and supplies.
- Restock materials and supplies.
- Notify managers concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Previous experience in a similar role.
- Experience and completion of a Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems course.
- Experience in a mining environment would be an asset.
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize projects and manage time.
- Knowledge of standard cleaning procedures, chemicals, products and equipment.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System.
- Able to read and understand labels and instructions, particularly on the use and application of cleaning chemicals and products.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to perform tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to build strong working relationships, internally.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at workplace.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Proven conflict management skills.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transportation is provided from Chetwynd & Mackenzie - BC.
- Please be aware that no camp facilities are available. Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a workplace.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare upon joining.