Job Title: IT Technician
Location: Northeast British Columbia, Canada
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Reporting to the Mine Site General Manager, the IT Technician is responsible for supporting the Information Technology functions for Conuma Mine operations.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern British Columbia, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Install and configure hardware and software components to ensure usability.
- Troubleshoot all hardware and software issues.
- Diagnose, repair, maintain hardware and software components to ensure all computer systems are running smooth.
- Repair or replace damaged hardware.
- Upgrading systems to enable compatible software on all computers.
- Install and upgrade anti-virus software to ensure that all computers and systems are protected.
- Provide technical support to employees, by being their point of contact for any errors at your mine site location.
- Daily backup of software.
- Pro-actively manage all technical documentation.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with all departments and employees.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years previous experience in Systems Administrating, Security or Network Admin.
- Valid driver’s license with willingness to travel to mine sites as required.
- A+, MS, Oracle, or Cisco Certified Network Associate accreditation would be advantageous.
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) Certification would be advantageous.
- Working experience with Microsoft products, especially with Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio, and PowerPoint.
- Experience and knowledge with routing technology, like VLAN’s, port channels and trunking.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in database programming and software installation.
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Understanding of network architecture and client/server technology.
- Sound working knowledge of Microsoft applications particularly Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong technical skills and demonstrated aptitude with regards to IT troubleshooting processes.
- Ability to work in a team environment involving support, flexibility and team work.
- Ability to meet requirements of Own and department's action plans.
- Ability to demonstrate accuracy, consistency, confidentiality and a commitment to continuous improvement in the work environment.
- Analytical skills to understand issues, determine and implement solutions.
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize assignments.
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at workplace.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Proven conflict management skills.
- Attention to detail.
Work Location / Travel
- Bus transportation is provided from Tumbler Ridge (Wolverine), Chetwynd (Brule and Willow Creek) and Mackenzie (Willow Creek), BC.
- Please be aware that no camp facilities are available. Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a workplace.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.