Job Title: Quality Control Supervisor
Location: Chetwynd, BC (Willow Creek Mine)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a temporary (40 hours/week) position
The Quality Control Supervisor will provide front line supervision to the Quality Control staff while ensuring that the general objectives of the Quality Control group are met.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct monthly safety meetings and correct any deficiencies as soon as possible.
- Maintain the highest level of housekeeping within the Quality Control areas.
- Conduct incident investigations and have a copy in the manager’s hands within 12 hours.
- Supervise, coordinate and schedule the activities of the Willow Creek QC staff to effectively optimize the utilization of resources and personnel toward the goal of optimum efficiency, accuracy and productivity.
- Ensuring that all the QC staff are following required procedures and protocols.
- Carrying out QC staff procedural, performance audits/reviews.
- Participating in the hiring process of new employees.
- Monitoring product quality at all stages of coal flow and provide daily product blend adjustment recommendations.
- Directly interacting with internal departments, external labs & contractors.
- Performing TQM Program Audits.
- Upkeep/assessment of QC data within multiple spreadsheets/reports.
- QC/Lab supply inventory control/requisition submissions.
- Analytical instrument/equipment maintenance tracking/planning.
- QC staff scheduling, leave requests review and approval.
- Customer sample planning and coordination.
- Round Robin testing program – organization/monitoring/data upkeep/follow up with staff.
- Upkeep of QC SOP’s and Lab Manual.
- Drive and oversee continuous improvement projects.
- Recommend the purchase of goods and equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- High School Diploma.
- Minimum two (2) years of progressive experience in QC lab in an open pit mining or similar environment.
- Completed supervisor training would be an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize projects and manage time.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Ability to perform tasks with minimal supervision.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Quick learner and adaptable to an ever-changing environment.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd, and Mackenzie, BC.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.