Job Title: Journeyman/Equivalent Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Employer: Conuma Resources Limited
PO Box 2140
#200 - 235 Front Street
Tumbler Ridge, BC, V0C 2W0
- Brule Mining Complex Limited
13.5 KM Blind Forest Service Road
Chetwynd, BC, V0C 1J0
- Wolverine Mining Complex Limited
17.5 KM Wolverine Forest Service Road
Tumbler Ridge, BC, V0C 2W0
- Willow Creek Mining Complex Limited
45 KM Willow Creek Forest Service Road
Chetwynd, BC, V0C 1J0
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: Permanent/Full-time - 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off)
Safely and efficiently diagnose, troubleshoot, service and repair Conuma Resources Limited ("Conuma") large fleet of mining trucks and equipment.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern British Columbia, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair mining equipment and ancillary equipment used in open pit coal mining; such as shovels, drills, haul trucks, loaders, dozers and excavators.
- Check mining equipment for proper performance and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions.
- Diagnose faults or malfunctions using computerized and other testing equipment to determine extent of repair required.
- Adjust equipment and repair using hand and power tools.
- Clean, lubricate and perform other routine maintenance work on equipment.
- Respond to mechanical issues both in the maintenance shop and in the field.
- Use hand tools (e.g. wrenches, screwdrivers), air and impact tools (e.g. wrenches, drills), sledge hammers and hydraulic torque equipment.
- Operate materials handling equipment (e.g. hydraulic jacks and hoists, chains, overhead cranes, slings, come-a-longs), ladders, man-lifts, safety harness and lanyard, fork lifts, small loaders, and trucks to access field repairs.
- Ensure adherence to Conuma's workplace policies and standard operating procedures.
- Maintain a high level of Environmental and Health and Safety performance; identify and report risks, near misses and incidents with the goal of supporting and developing Conuma’s excellent safety standards
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Completion of High School
- 3 to 5 Year Apprenticeship Program or a Combination of Over 4 Years of Work Experience and Industry Courses in Heavy Equipment Repair
- Minimum 1-2 Years' Maintaining and Repairing Heavy Duty Mining Equipment Preferred
- Experience with Caterpillar, Komatsu, Hitachi, and Other Heavy Duty Equipment
- Experience with OEM Troubleshooting Guides and Systems
- Experience with OEM Web-Based Systems; Such as Caterpillar SIS, CUMMINS Insite
- Red Seal Certification Preferred
- Valid Driver's License
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Work assignments could be shop or field, ability to work in either space.
- Ability to work 12-hour day and night shifts; on a 7x7 rotation.
- Self-motivated, team player with a positive attitude and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Understanding of mining processes and mine monitoring control systems (Operations and Maintenance)
- Ability and willingness to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety and attendance record.
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills in English.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at workplace.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Proven conflict management skills.
- Lead by example, possess a positive attitude and be a good ambassador for Conuma and the maintenance department.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transportation is provided from Tumbler Ridge (Wolverine), Chetwynd (Brule and Willow Creek) and Mackenzie (Willow Creek), BC.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place.
Wage and Benefits
$48.09/Hour - $50.63/Hour (Based on Work Experience and/or Certification)
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits, including:
- $3.50/Hour Retention Bonus Paid Semi-Annually to Active Employees
- 6% Paid Vacation
- Extended Health and Dental Care
- RRSP Matching
- Monthly Efficiency Share
- Up to $10,000 Relocation Allowance
Please submit your resume via email to HDMRecruiter@conumacoal.com noting the job title you are applying under in the subject line.
Conuma Resources is an equal opportunity employer.