Job Title: Maintenance Planner
Location: Chetwynd, BC (Willow Creek Mine)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule/ Terms of Employment: This is a temporary (40 hours/week) position
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager, the Maintenance Planner is responsible for the overall continuous development of the maintenance and reliability programs to ensure maximum availability and reliability of equipment. This position is responsible for planned maintenance of all mobile equipment.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three times winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure adherence to Conuma Resources’ workplace policies and standard work procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control.
- Identify and report on health & safety risks, accidents, incidents, injuries & property damage at the workplace.
- Provide leadership to the maintenance planning function, ensuring work is being completed in a safe, efficient, and timely manner.
- Develop and manage the mine maintenance and reliability program by determining the specific maintenance work required to maximize the availability of equipment at minimum cost with minimum unplanned maintenance.
- Coordinate resources to maintain and enhance critical equipment performance and availability through best business practices.
- Establish good working relationships with other departments.
- Liaise with various suppliers to discuss maintenance spare parts and new products.
- Ensure that all records on machine utilization (i.e. hour, pre-start checklists) are recorded on a daily basis.
- Analyze trends and make adjustments to daily operational plans, as necessary.
- Ensure achievement in maintenance targets by maintaining operational standards in area of responsibility.
- Participate in the development and management of the annual budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of practical experience in planning and scheduling both short and long term maintenance initiatives.
- Experienced in reporting, information monitoring and planning/organizing, supportive, communicative and able to work under pressure are preferred character traits.
- Degree or diploma in a technical field or possess a valid Inter-Provincial trade qualification certificate in a related field.
- Previous supervisory experience complimented with a proven work record in preventative, predictive and reliability maintenance programs in a mining environment.
- Experience with computerized maintenance system is a necessity.
Skills and Abilities
- A proven ability to work safely and achieve targets.
- Excellent people skills.
- Working with large data sets and sorting and reconciling data.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Literacy skills including the ability to read manuals, schematics and regulatory requirements.
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills.
- Stress and time management skills.
- Candidate will have aptitude for logistics, planning and scheduling.
- Applicants will have excellent Vendor Management Skills.
- Computer skills include use of Microsoft Software packages; with better than average competence in spread sheets and relational database programs.
- Be able to read schematic and diagrams for the purpose of determining parts lists.
- Competence in the repair procedures for the class of equipment involved.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd, and Mackenzie, BC.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.