Job Title: Water Treatment & BCR Operations Manager
Location: Tumbler Ridge - North East British Columbia
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Please be aware no camp facilities are available.
Reporting to the Director – Regulatory and Environment, the Water Treatment and BCR Operations Manager will be responsible for delivering on objectives related to water treatment, monitoring, and compliance. Conuma, located in NE BC, is a leader in water treatment using the BCR Technology.
Conuma Resources is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma Resources continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma Resources is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma Resources and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma Resources employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Resources Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Understand and interpret permit and regulatory requirements for on-site water treatment systems.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable permits as it relates to mine water treatment and treatment systems.
- Manage BCR and SRF operations and research development programs.
- Ensure BCR operations, performance, and reporting requirements conform to operating standards and procedures, and initiate control process adjustments in response to changing conditions.
- Ensure that hazard assessments are completed, and areas inspected before safe work can proceed.
- Coordinate onsite water treatment maintenance activities, including contractor management.
- Develop and manage departmental budgets with respect to water treatment systems.
- Supervise the performance of BCRs and other water treatment systems using key performance indicators and other metrics.
- Review field and laboratory results and databases, to ensure record integrity.
- Provide daily, weekly, and monthly operational reports.
- Understand and interpret site-generated environmental data and direct internal and external reporting functions.
- Lead optimization initiatives associated with water treatment as part of continuous improvement efforts.
- Develop, or aid in the development of standard operating procedures, training manuals and training presentations.
- Support professional development, reviews, and training of staff on BCR operations
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- A Master’s or bachelor’s degree in Biology or Environmental Science. Chemical or Environmental Engineering (preferred).
- 5-10 years environmental experience in Resources or Mining (preferably coal).
- Experience analyzing environmental sample data and reporting results to regulatory bodies and stakeholders.
- Excellent project management and experience supervising a team of professionals.
- Technical understanding of water chemistry and experience with risk evaluation related to water quality, quantity, and receptors (aquatic health)
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Ability to think strategically
- Possesses understanding of quality control instruments/equipment operation and safety standards.
- Understanding of applicable ASTM standards related to coal analysis.
- Ability to collaborate, form relationships, partner optimally and work in a dynamic, fast-paced, and agile environment.
- Strong analytical skills to translate data into insights
- Ability to communicate both orally and in written form
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft software packages
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including ability to effectively communicate and interact with all individuals with integrity, empathy, and sincerity.
- Dedication to driving positive safety culture while creating accountability in relation to safety standards
- Ability to motivate direct reports to optimize performance, personal development and job satisfaction
- Ability to be decisive using information available
- Stress and time management skills
- Having strong self-motivation;
- Visible team player at workplace;
- A positive attitude;
- Ability to prioritize;
- Be respectful;
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills;
- Demonstrate a dedication to the position and the organization;
- Demonstrate sound work ethics; and
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process
- Conflict management skills
Work Location / Travel
- Employee transportation is provided.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare upon joining.