Job Title: Chief Engineer
Location: Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia (Wolverine Mine)
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Please be aware no camp facilities are available.
Reporting to the Mine General Manager, the Chief Engineer is responsible for the development and delivery of internal growth projects for Conuma through evaluation, studies, design and construction and operation of coal mines on Conuma controlled properties. He/she will aid in the assessment of potential acquisitions. The Chief Engineer will achieve these agreed objectives through clear and visible leadership in the areas of integrity, safety, environmental stewardship, employee empowerment and the pursuit of operating excellence. The work of the Chief Engineer combines both tactical and strategic analytical capability at a high level. It requires a broad base of experience both operationally and financially. The level of analytical capability must be maintained and demonstrated at a very high level.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Lead the engineering and team at the site specific mine to achieve the annual medium- and long-term objectives and milestones as agreed by the Mine General Manager.
- Demonstrate clear and visible leadership in Health, Safety and Environmental Stewardship and emphasize their importance as a critical barometer of management commitment and capability.
- Ensure that Social and Political license to operate is seen as a key element for inclusion in the decision-making process.
- Develop and grow capability in Mine Planning through the recruitment and development of quality technical professionals for the corporation.
- Champion a culture of collaboration across the operating, technical and administrative functions within the business.
- Develop and champion an enhanced understanding of the underlying principles of mineral economics and mining engineering to ensure that business imperatives are well understood within the project teams.
- Assist in the development of standard systems and tools for the effective geological modeling, mine planning, and project management.
- Develop and execute the annual/project budgets for development projects in a timely and professional manner.
- Provide direction in the engineering related aspects for preparation of new and amended mine permits and during the permit review stages.
- Provide support to the operating mines for mine planning and scheduling with the objective of minimizing the need for outside consultants.
- Produce technical reports updating mine reserves for mining projects.
- Ensure the development of a strong, professional high performing technical services team that regularly demonstrates independent but strategically aligned decision-making capability.
- Identify, develop and implement value maximizing operating strategies for the mining projects that will have a significant, positive, impact on results.
- Lead in achieving excellence both technically and in the areas of Health, Safety and Environmental Stewardship.
- Lead the corporate technical and project teams.
- Daily to periodic interaction with Conuma's Mine General Manager and to a lesser extent Vice President Operations, CFO and Heads of HR, HSE, Legal and Business Development on various proposals and opportunities.
- Regular interaction with members of the corporate operations team and with the HSE Regulatory team.
- Regular interaction with external consultants working on specified parts of permits and projects.
- Providing leadership, advice and mentorship to Conuma's technical professionals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- B.Sc. in mining or related Engineering degree.
- Professional Engineering designation, P.Eng. or equivalent.
- Strong background in Mining Operations, Engineering, and Project Development.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in the mining industry, including a minimum of 5 years at senior operating or technical services positions.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a business across organizational and geographical interfaces with specific expertise in managing complex, multi-disciplinary and geographically dispersed work teams.
- Experience in various mining methods including surface and underground coal mining.
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Strong operational, engineering, and/or project development experience.
- Strong leadership capability with strong emphasis on mentoring and developing people.
- The ability to review progress and prioritize resources to achieve project success.
- Passion and experience in achieving outstanding performance in the areas of Health, Safety and Environmental stewardship.
- Comfort and capability in pursuing business focused collaboration on a Group wide basis.
- Strong commercial and value delivered focus.
- Strong leadership skills that start with leading self and align with the Vision and Values of Conuma Coal.
- Rigorous, data-based approach to decision making.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills enabling the writing and presentation of high-quality reports and other presentation material.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts and ideas in a clear and concise manner in both formal and informal contexts.
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at workplace.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Proven conflict management skills.
Work Location / Travel
- This position is located at Conuma's Wolverine Mine, near Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia.
- Employee transportation is provided.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.