Job Title: Health & Safety Coordinator
Location: North East British Columbia (Tumbler Ridge / Chetwynd)
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off)
Please be aware that no camp facilities are available.
Reporting to the Health & Safety Manager, the Health & Safety Coordinator is responsible for the implementation, of occupational health and safety programs for designated entities and/or work groups. Serves as coordinator for safety data systems. Ensures accurate, timely data entry and reporting. Updates and maintains health and safety records.
Conuma Resources is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma Resources continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma Resources is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma Resources and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma Resources employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Resources Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Enters data into safety data system(s).
- Analyzes safety data; prepares and distributes month end reports.
- Assists in the maintenance and creation of safety standards and supporting documents.
- Participates in Joint Occupational Health, Safety and Environment Committee (JOHSEC) safety inspections and audits and Conuma Resources Occupational Health and Safety Committee.
- Coordinates and attends health and safety related meetings and training which include but is not limited to the following: a) formulates monthly crew safety meeting topics and agenda, b) reviews all monthly crew safety meeting minutes and ensures all concerns are addressed, c) coordinates monthly Emergency Response Team rescue training
- Formulates new safety policies and procedures as required.
- Maintains records and documentation for health and safety programs.
- Maintains record of all incident reports.
- Monitors and revises work procedures to ensure that company, legal and regulatory requirements and standards are met.
- Makes recommendations to line management as determined by occupational health and safety audit information; facilitates corrective action as required.
- Remains up to date on all safety related regulations and codes.
- Responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining effective safety systems.
- Coordinates the implementation of new systems or improvements to existing systems; monitors effectiveness, taking best practice principles into account (e.g. equipment, noise and personal protective clothing, etc.).
- Advises and assists customers in accident investigations, root cause analysis and accident prevention.
- Coordinates with department managers and line management regarding the review and implementation of Conuma Resources safety policies and procedures and determination of safety needs; acts as a technical safety resource.
- Ensures all health, safety and environmental policies, rules and regulations are posted in designated areas.
- Reviews Field Level Hazard Assessment (FLHA) cards for quality and compliance with the FLHA program; identifies workers needing additional guidance or training to improve the quality of hazard assessment, incident and risk mitigation.
- Liaise with regulatory authorities at the site level to promote safety and assist to resolve any issues of non-compliance.
- Other duties as assigned/required.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Minimum requirements: High School Diploma
- Minimum 2 years mining experience
- Safety Advisor experience
- Applied Business Technology (Administrative Assistant) Certificate is favorably regarded
- Valid Level 3 Occupational First Aid ticket or equivalent
- Drug and Alcohol Screening Analysis certification
- Valid driver’s license for area assigned
- Surface Mine Rescue Certification
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Computer skills include use of Microsoft Software packages; with better than average competence in spread sheets and relational database programs.
- Ability to act with integrity, good judgment, and discretion.
- Strong leadership capability.
- Passion and experience in achieving outstanding performance in the areas of Health, Safety and Environmental stewardship.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills enabling the writing and presentation of high-quality reports.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts and ideas in a clear and concise manner in both formal and informal contexts.
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at workplace.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Proven conflict management skills.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee transportation is provided.
- Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a workplace.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.