Job Title: General Manager, Operations
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time permanent position.
Reporting directly to the Vice President, Operations, the GM Operations plans, directs and coordinates all aspects of the coal operations, in accordance with the policies and objectives of Conuma Coal. Schedules and budgets for the daily and future operation of the company’s mine sites, ensures the effective and profitable utilization of all resources and facilities of Conuma Coal, and maintains good corporate and community relations. Assists the Vice President, Operations in the development of company policies and goals.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the general health and safety of all employees working at the company property and ensures that adequate safety procedures, health programs and environmental standards are developed and adhered.
- Develops and maintains long and short-term plans for the mining operations under his/her control from overall company objectives. These will be consistent with marketing commitments and the orderly development of the coal reserves. Presents these plans to the Vice President for approval and is accountable for achieving results in line with established and approved objectives.
- Prepares long and short-term plans for the operating departments and monitors their implementation and execution, ensuring that they are consistent with the overall objectives of the company.
- Ensures that effective budgetary, capital and operating cost control systems are maintained providing accurate report data for the Vice President.
- By means of the effective direction of the department heads in setting goals and objectives, ensures the efficient and profitable operation of the company mining, processing and shipping facilities. To this end, initiates and maintains appropriate performance standards and management/operating controls to evaluate the operating departments.
- Formulates and issues policies and procedures relating to all aspects of the mine site(s).
- Assumes the responsibility for overseeing the development of technical facilities and processes with a view to improved efficiency of operations.
- Responsible for the improvement, development and maintenance of a balanced organization structure and ensures that adequate human resources are available for the successful and efficient operation of the mining, processing and related services and facilities. Within overall company policy, ensures that appropriate salary and wage structures are developed and controlled through systematic review.
- Responsible for all funds, physical assets and property of the company ensuring they are properly safeguarded and administered.
- Establishes adequate communication processes with the department heads and all functional areas of the organization, ensuring appropriate direction and control of the operation.
- Prepares and submits regular financial and production reports to the VP as required and performs any other reporting and monitoring responsibilities assigned for the effective operation of the company.
- Develops for submission to and the approval of the VP, capital and operating budgets consistent with the profitable operation of division properties.
- Ensures that appropriate budget control and financial control reporting systems are utilized to monitor the daily operations of the company facilities.
- Reviews capital expenditure requests and unbudgeted appropriations and approves budgeted appropriations prior to their submission to the VP for approval.
- Convenes and chairs regular meetings of the department heads, coordinating the roles and activities of the various departments.
- Represents the company, as appropriate, in its relationships with major customers, suppliers, competitors, government agencies, professional societies, and similar groups.
- Keeps abreast of the latest methods, techniques and equipment pertinent to the mining/processing industry, with specific responsibilities delegated to his managers.
- Responsible for choosing the type of equipment, manufacturer specifications and other details of all capital equipment required, with specific responsibilities delegated to his managers, and for recommending these for authorization.
- Assumes overall responsibility for staff training and development at the property.
- Develops and maintains up-to-date position guides for all his immediate subordinates and ensures the same is done throughout the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 8 to 10 years of experience in coal exploration and /or mining industry.
- B.Sc. or Graduate Degree in Mining - Engineering and Registered as a Professional Engineer.
- Proven track record in successfully leading teams to achieve corporate objectives.
- Related technical trainings and financial training.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong leadership capability with strong emphasis on mentoring and developing people.
- The ability to review progress and prioritize resources to achieve operational success.
- Passion and experience in achieving outstanding performance in the areas of Health, Safety and Environmental stewardship.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills enabling the writing and presentation of high-quality reports and other presentation material.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, key business partners, and government agencies.
- Quick learner and adaptable to an ever-changing environment.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee transportation is provided.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.