Job Title: Drill/Shovel Supervisor
Location: Chetwynd, BC (Brule Mine)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position.
Under the general direction of the Maintenance Manager; the Drill/Shovel Supervisor supports the business by coordinating the activities of maintenance personnel both in the shop and field environments to align with the needs of the business. Plan, organize, advise and execute maintenance requirements. Identify and mitigate roadblocks while providing solutions to the operation team in order to meet our obligations.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Oversee all projects related to shovel and drill maintenance and improvement.
- Manage shovel and drill maintenance costs within budget.
- Provide guidance to drill/shovel maintenance crew.
- Supervise, coordinate and schedule the activities of the assigned crew to effectively optimize the utilization of resources; man-power, tools, equipment, and parts towards the goal of optimum equipment availability.
- Ensure all maintenance activities are carried out safely and according to company policies and legislation.
- Assign field work, coordinate projects and daily workflow including workshop activities and onsite technical support.
- Supervise drill/shovel maintenance crew and ensure that the Company’s equipment is maintained and repaired in a safe and efficient manner.
- Analyze and organize maintenance tasks and procedures.
- Understand and monitor daily cost, evaluate and continually elevate maintenance related productivity and quality.
- Assist in the development, implementation and evaluation of maintenance policies and procedures.
- Review, communicate, and coach employees on work performance.
- Ensure the integrity of all written documentation, including but not limited to, employee disciplinary actions, contractor time sheets, PM inspection sheets, work orders, requisitions, employee timecards, incident and accident investigations.
- Conduct incident investigations in a timely manner.
- Liaise with operations to understand their needs and provide timely repairs and service time.
- Recommend maintenance tasks and upgrades to management with a best practice maintenance approach.
- Engage with and assist planning team in setting up weekly PM and back log repair plan for execution.
- Identify additional parts or resources needed and work with Maintenance Planner for planned tasks.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Red Seal Certification
- BC Mine Supervisor Certification
- A minimum of 3 years' maintenance supervisory experience in an open pit mining or similar environment.
- Five to seven years hands-on (non-supervisory) experience in the repairs and servicing of mining equipment.
- Experience with on-board diagnostics equipment.
- Experience in environmental management processes with particular reference to spill avoidance, containment and report.
- Use of computerized maintenance management systems and parts catalogues.
- Prior experience with involvement with implementation of safety programs would be an asset.
- Completion of Grade 12
- Valid Driver’s License
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Knowledge of mine equipment safety standards.
- Competence in the maintenance and servicing of mobile mining equipment.
- Competence in the operation and maintenance of a maintenance facility and the tools and equipment involved.
- An understanding of short and long term planning objectives with the ability to prioritize.
- Ability to mentor employees and possess excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Possess strong problem-solving ability, with particular attention to the details.
- Computer skills including the use of Microsoft Office programs.
- Stress management and time management skills.
- Literacy skills including the ability to read manuals and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to act and make decisions with integrity, good judgment, and discretion.
- Conflict resolution skills are an asset.
- Coordinate input from various sources as to equipment status and make technically sound decisions.
- Have a proven ability to motivate employees to work safely and achieve operational targets.
- Build strong working relationships with employees and contractors and demonstrate integrity, empathy, sincerity and respect.
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at workplace.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Proven conflict management skills.
- Lead by example, possess a positive attitude and be a good ambassador for Conuma and the maintenance department.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee transportation is provided.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Resources is an equal opportunity employer.