Job Title: Qualified Welder
Location: Chetwynd, BC (Willow Creek Mine)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: Temporary - 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off)
The Welder will be responsible for providing support to mine maintenance in an active open pit coal mine.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Fabricate & assemble metal structures and equipment through the use of cutters, shapers & measuring tools.
- They will set up, operate and maintain welding equipment.
- Complete daily FLHA’s, Risk Assessments and other safety documents for tasks being completed.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Possess a valid interprovincial trade qualification certificate in related field.
- Previous working experience in a mine or heavy industrial environment.
- Ability to learn from others and adopt best practices while maintaining a strong focus on safety, integrity and reliability.
- Self motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Skills and Abilities
- First Aid/Mine Rescue Training is Considered an Asset
- Physically Fit with the Ability to Perform Physical Labor
- Strong Communication Skills
- Willingness to Learn
- Safety Focused
- Positive Attitude
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd, and Mackenzie, BC.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.