Job Title: Red Seal Heavy Duty Mechanic
Location: North East British Columbia
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off)
Please be aware no camp facilities are available.
Employee bus transportation is provided.
Safely and efficiently diagnose, troubleshoot, service and repair Conuma’s large fleet of mining trucks and equipment.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Twice winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Ensure adherence to Conuma Coal’s workplace policies and standard operating procedures.
- Maintain a high level of Environmental and Health and Safety performance; identify and report risks, near misses and incidents with the goal of supporting and developing Conuma’s excellent safety standards
- Attend and participate in all scheduled health, safety and environmental meetings and training.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair heavy mining equipment and ancillary equipment used in open pit coal mining; such as shovels, drills, haul trucks, loaders, dozers and excavators.
- Follow and comply with all safety, environmental, technical and HR procedures.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement initiatives.
- Respond to mechanical issues both in the maintenance shop and in the field.
- Use hand tools (e.g. wrenches, screwdrivers), air and impact tools (e.g. wrenches, drills), sledge hammers and hydraulic torque equipment.
- Operate materials handling equipment (e.g. hydraulic jacks and hoists, chains, overhead cranes, slings, come-a-longs), ladders, man-lifts, safety harness and lanyard, fork lifts, small loaders, and trucks to access field repairs.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Red Seal Certification (Heavy Duty Equipment Technician)
- Minimum of 3-5 Years' Mining Experience
- Experience with OEM troubleshooting guides and systems preferred.
- Experience creating parts lists from OEM web-based systems such as Caterpillar SIS preferred.
- Completion of Grade 12
- Valid Driver’s License
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Work assignments could be shop or field, ability to work in either space.
- Able to work 12-hour day and night shifts; on a 7X7 rotation.
- Self-motivated, team player with a positive attitude and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Understanding of mining processes and mine monitoring control systems (operations and maintenance)
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Willingness to work in adverse conditions.
- Proven safety and attendance record.
- Knowledge of computer maintenance systems.
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at workplace.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Proven conflict management skills.
- Lead by example, possess a positive attitude and be a good ambassador for Conuma and the maintenance department.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.
Conuma Resources is an equal opportunity employer.