Job Title: Intermediate Mining Engineer
Location: Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, Canada
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time (40 hours/week), permanent position
Reporting directly to the Chief Engineer, the Intermediate Mining Engineer, provides engineering support to the Conuma Mine operations.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern British Columbia, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
- Ensure safety is designed into daily activities and mine plans.
- Develop and implements mid-term- and short-term open pit plans; design shells, scheduling, forecasting and optimization.
- Forecast coal release plan to meet required product coal volumes and quality.
- Detailed Pit and Phase design, scheduling and haulage simulation.
- Develop detailed plans for bench access, waste dump and coal haul road development.
- Design and implement production drilling and blasting procedures in order to optimize powder factors and fragmentation.
- Monthly reconciliation of waste and coal volumes.
- Work with geological staff to update the geological model as required.
- Coordinate with consultants to ensure all mine permit requirements are met including geotechnical, environmental and reclamation plans.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- B.Sc. in mining or related Engineering degree.
- Professional Engineering designation, P.Eng. or equivalent.
- Minimum of 6 – 10 years operational mining experience required.
- Experience with open pit mine design, planning and evaluation.
- Solid understanding of the strategic planning which entails to Mine / Pit Optimization.
- Previous fleet management experience would be an advantageous.
- Sensefly Ebee X Drone experience and an Operator License would be advantageous.
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Mathematical aptitude, capable of developing solutions to three dimensional problems, ability to sequence and schedule complex inter-related activities.
- Experience in mine planning/design/optimization using industry packages (such as Minesight, Vulcan, Surpac, Datamine etc.) Minesight™ and Atlas Scheduling experience preferred.
- Knowledge of running Pit Optimization program (Whittle, NPVS, MSEP etc.) and application of optimization technique would be an asset.
- Experience in achieving outstanding performance in the areas of Health, Safety and Environmental stewardship.
- Oral and written communication skills enabling the writing and presentation of high-quality reports and other presentation material.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Quick learner and adaptable to an ever-changing environment.
Leadership and Problem-Solving Capability
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Lead by example to maintain high standards of conduct at workplace.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills.
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process.
- Proven conflict management skills.
Work Location / Travel
- Bus transportation is provided from Tumbler Ridge, BC.
- Please be aware that no camp facilities are available. Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a workplace.
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.