Job Title: Surveyor
Location: Brule Mine / Willow Creek Mine / Wolverine Mine (North East British Columbia)
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off) 2x 30-minute breaks per shift
Please be aware no camp facilities are available.
The objective for this role is to support the operations in achieving targets by completing survey activities including the layout and pickup of drilling, blasting and digging areas.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare layout and pick up of drilling and blast patterns, as well as loading and dumping areas
- Prepare pit dewatering layouts.
- Conduct wall monitoring.
- Provide reports to supervisors regarding feedback on loading and dumping areas.
- Record and store data.
- Update drawings using AutoCAD and MineSight.
- Assist with mine planning projects.
- Other duties as assigned by the department head.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Diploma in Survey Technician or Survey Engineering or equivalent experience
- Previous field surveying experience is an asset
- Experience with GPS equipment and surveying software.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use survey instruments and do surveying
- Knowledge and experience using a total station and GPS
- Effective time management, planning and communications skills
- Ability to prioritize and adapt to changing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a calm focus during hectic periods
- Able to work independently as well as function as an effective team member
- Attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet Explorer
- Experience with Mine Modelling Software, such as AutoCAD, and MineSight
Work Environment and Conditions
Requirements for this position include: Lifting, walking on uneven ground, and working outdoors in all weather conditions.
Work Locations / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Tumbler Ridge and Chetwynd, BC
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma Coal believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma Coal provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.