Job Title: Plant Labourer
Location: Chetwynd, BC (Willow Creek Mine)
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: 12-hour shifts, (7 days on / 7 days off)
The Plant Labourer is responsible for ensuring the process equipment is operating smoothly and the area is clean.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure adherence to Conuma’s workplace policies and standard work procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control.
- Maintain a high level of Health and Safety performance through effective communication, monitoring and revision of standard work procedures.
- Attend and participate in all scheduled health and safety meetings and training.
- Perform process plant clean up and maintain the cleanliness of the plant and equipment to a high standard.
- Scrape and shovel material from under and around conveyor belts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Previous experience in a labourer or similar role.
- Ability to work in outdoor conditions.
- Superior communication skills and ability to follow directions.
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work in high stress situations and resolve issues.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and as a team.
- Willingness to Learn.
- Physically fit with the ability to perform physical labor.
- Strong safety core.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee bus transport is available from Chetwynd and Mackenzie, BC.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.