Job Title: Mine Manager
Location: Northeast British Columbia
Language of Work: English
Start Date: When filled
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time permanent position.
Responsible to ensure all mine operations objectives are achieved in an economical, safe and environmentally responsible manner that meets the needs of both the customer and the Company. Ensure mine operations activities are carried out within company policy, customer needs, and the statutory requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Mines and Environmental Regulations.
Conuma is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma’s employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the organization and direction of all operations activities at the mine site that establishes high level of production in a cost effective, safe, and environmental manner.
- Provide direction in the development and implementation of short-range mine plans to ensure safe and efficient operations in conjunction with long-range and budget objectives.
- Establish a positive employee and labour relations climate by conducting and participating in activities that contribute to an effective working relationship with all employees, both non-union and union, if applicable.
- Promote teamwork at all levels of the operation, and, through the communication, monitoring and revision of performance standards, ensures crew compliance to performance standards and legislation.
- Establish a high level of satisfaction for both internal and external customers by achieving safety, production, quality, and cost standards. Display a cooperative attitude in all customer matters.
- Is committed to personal continuous development and able to assume the duties and responsibilities of other managerial and supervisory personnel as required.
- Assume other duties and responsibilities, as required, in response to changing circumstances and the physical and economic environment of the Mine and the Company.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in coal exploration and /or mining industry.
- B.Sc. or Graduate Degree in Mining - Engineering and Registered as a Professional Engineer.
- Proven track record in successfully leading teams to achieve corporate objectives.
- Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Extensive, experience and knowledge of mining industry and global marketing challenges/opportunities in the Coal sector.
- Strong leadership capability with strong emphasis on mentoring and developing people.
- The ability to review progress and prioritize resources to achieve operational success.
- Passion and experience in achieving outstanding performance in the areas of Health, Safety and Environmental stewardship.
- Comfort and capability in pursuing business focused collaboration on a Group wide basis.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills enabling the writing and presentation of high-quality reports and other presentation material.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, key business partners, and government agencies.
- Quick learner and adaptable to an ever-changing environment.
Work Location / Travel
- Employee transportation is provided.
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.