Job Title: Contracts Manager
Location: Vancouver OR Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia
Schedule / Terms of Employment: This is a full time permanent position.
The Contracts Manager – Capital Projects and Permitting is responsible for overseeing all commercial aspects of contracts related to Capital Projects. This responsibility includes working closely with Conuma Resources various functional areas to ensure contract-based services required to successfully execute planned capital construction milestones are developed and managed in a consistent and cost-efficient manner. As part of this role the Contracts Manager – Capital Projects will establish and maintain standards tailored for the contractual requirements of the Capital Projects group. This position will assist in all areas of the tendering, negotiations and administration of the required contracts.
Conuma Resources is a leading Canadian producer and exporter of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry. Products from our three mine operations in Northeastern BC, Brule, Willow Creek and Wolverine, leave us well-positioned to serve customers in South America, Europe and Asia.
Three time winner of the Edward Prior Mine Safety Award for the lowest injury frequency rate in British Columbia, Conuma Resources continues to lead the industry with multi-million-dollar investments in the latest collision avoidance and fatigue monitoring safety technologies for the protection of our employees.
Conuma Resources is much more than metallurgical coal. Conuma Resources and its employees are embedded in our communities. The company’s Pay It Forward program began in 2017 and since then has raised over $425,000 in support of “Our Kids” at a Bolivian Orphanage and the Vancouver Children’s Foundation. Locally, Conuma Resources employee winter hockey matches ensure much-needed donations to the Food Bank, while in the summer, our employees get together to assist the local high school teams as they prepare their go-karts for the Conuma Resources Challenge.
Our local communities in Northeastern British Columbia are amongst some of the most beautiful surroundings in North America. At the Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark, employees can enjoy almost limitless hiking amongst some of Canada’s biggest waterfalls, ride through ATV and snowmobile trails, explore 97 million-year-old dinosaur footprints, ski cross-country trails, play ice-hockey, swim indoors and out, cycle, and enjoy the sense of community only a small town provides. An hour and a quarter away, Chetwynd is famous for its chainsaw wood carvings and offers a range of kayaking, snowmobiling and rock-climbing opportunities. Regarded as a wonderful place to raise a family, with affordable costs of living, Northeast British Columbia is the outdoor paradise our employees are proud to call home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the Contracts Management process from draft development through negotiation and execution
- Support the development of contract management tools and templates which are in alignment with Conuma Resources larger Contracting and Commercial groups.
- Provide advice and guidance to various functional areas regarding contract development and management.
- Identify and act on opportunities to improve the contracting processes specific to the Capital Projects group.
- Assist in the development and review of a wide range of service contracts.
- Administer contracts, addendums and amendments according to dynamic organizational needs.
- Develop and manage relationships with key suppliers, including tracking supplier performance and providing annual supplier performance assessments.
- Proactively perform cost analysis to identify areas of opportunity to reduce costs and reliance on 3rd party service providers.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, Finance or Commerce.
- High degree of analytical proficiency.
- Ability to critically evaluate commercial proposals from the perspective of Conuma Resources best interest.
- Highly proficient with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with analytics/business intelligence/visualization tools would be considered an asset.
- Ability to make sound data driven business decisions taking into account potential risk.
- Desire to continuously improve.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including ability to effectively communicate and interact with all individuals with integrity, empathy and sincerity;
- Having strong motivation;
- Visible team player at workplace;
- A positive attitude;
- Ability to prioritize;
- Be respectful;
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity skills;
- Demonstrate a dedication to the position and the organization;
- Demonstrate sound work ethics; and
- Be consistent and fair in decision making process;
- Conflict management skills.
Work Location / Travel
- Please be aware no camp facilities are available. (Conuma believes in supporting our local communities by promoting them as a place for our employees to call home, not just a work place).
Wage and Benefits
Conuma provides competitive wages and benefits. Benefits include paid vacation, RRSP matching and extended healthcare.